Vision & Values (SMSC)
Our Mission Statement
At Shaftesbury Primary School, we know the importance of providing a broad, balanced and challenging curriculum where all children are encouraged to meet high expectations and are empowered to learn effectively. Children are encouraged to take pleasure in their own and others’ learning.
We believe it is fundamental that children acquire knowledge, skills and confidence that can be applied to all future learning experiences. We place high priority on children’s emotional, social and spiritual and physical development. At Shaftesbury we strive to nurture children into being responsible members of the community.
In order to achieve these outcomes we will provide a school environment that is secure, stimulating, supportive and memorable. Every child is equally valued as part of the school community and all are encouraged, indeed expected, to achieve their full potential.
Shaftesbury aspires to create a successful learning culture, which will enable pupils to become informed, confident, enthusiastic and independent learners.
Our ethos is one in which the pupil’s interest and their quality of learning are central to the school’s work and purpose. All are encouraged to achieve their full potential and celebrate their achievement. We believe that our school should be a happy, caring and secure environment, where all individuals are valued without any form of discrimination, supported through partnerships with parents, carers and the wider community.
It is our intention to achieve this through:
- Clear and purposeful leadership where leaders are focused on learning for all;
- A shared philosophy where staff assume joint responsibility for all pupils learning and have high expectations and commitment.
- The active involvement in, and appreciation of professional learning and development through team planning/teaching working together and via learning communities that strive to continually improve practice.
- Effective communications between members of the school community
- An open and inviting learning environment that demonstrates respect for all
- Sharing good practice through an agreed Teaching and Learning Policy
- Effective systems of reviewing, monitoring and evaluating teaching and learning and other general school practices
- A culture where data is analysed and research is used to inform teaching and improve learning.
- A clear and understood Equal Opportunities Policy
At Shaftesbury, we recognise that the personal development of pupils, spiritually, morally, socially and culturally, plays a significant part in their ability to learn and achieve. We therefore aim to provide an education that provides pupils with opportunities to explore and develop their own values and beliefs, spiritual awareness, high standards of personal behaviour, a positive caring attitude towards other people, an understanding of their social and cultural traditions and an appreciation of the diversity and richness of other cultures. This is a whole school issue.
Shaftesbury has a whole school approach to SMSC. All curriculum areas have a contribution to make to the child's spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and opportunities for this are planned in each area of the curriculum.
"This is our school where we learn and grow together...
May we respect everyone for today and forever...
We are a family at Shaftesbury - working and learning as one...
May we be caring, friendly, polite and have fun!"