September - Decemeber 2019
Welcome to our Autumn Newsletter. We hope you have had a fantastic summer holiday. I’ts been amazing to see our children settling in so well and making new friendships.
Important dates this half term:
- Autumn 1 - Monday 2nd September to Friday 1th October 2019
- European Languages Day 26th September
- McMillan Awareness day/Coffee Cake Morning 27th September (Donations Welcome)
- Maths/Money Week 14th - 18th October
- Black History month – 1st October to 31st October 2019
- Guru Nanak – School closed 12th November 2019
- Road Safety Week – 18th – 22nd November 2019
- Parents’ /Carers’ consultation evening – Thursday 17th October 2019
- Book Fair – 8th – 13th November 2019
- Remembrance Day – 11th November 2019
In English, children will be reading a text over one week. Children will be taught correct sentence structure including full stops, capital letters and a range of grammatical skills. We will focus on the children independently using their sounds to write in the correct format with an emphasis on handwriting.
Our texts for this term:
- Now Now Bernard
- The Tiger who came to Tea
- Once There were Giants
- On the Way Home
- Tabby McTat
In Maths, children will begin learning about number. This includes mastering counting skills forwards and backwards, counting in twos and understanding how to use different operations. We will begin teaching the children their 2, 5 and 10 times tables (and their inverse e.g 10 ÷ 2 = 5) with the aim to be fluent at these by the end of the year. We will also be working on Mental Maths so the children can built speed and confidence understanding numbers and their relationship to other numbers. We focus on simple addition and subtraction alongside timestables in Mental Maths sessions.
Science – Humans
This half term in Science, the children are focusing on the topic ‘Humans’. They will learn the main parts of the body and understand their function.
History – Changes
In History, the children are learning about Changes, from their living memory. They will look at how they have changed from their time as a baby to their current age. This will be done throughout their free-flow transistion time from Reception alongisde their other topic subjects.
Other Curriculum Areas:
Next half term they will study Geography and learn about the weather. In DT they will learn about the Fruits and vegetables and in Art they will learn about portraits. In Computing, the children will learn about Online Safety. In RE children will learn about living with family and friends and Christmas and in PE children will be practising their skills of throwing and catching and gymnastics.
How To Help
Please continue to support your child at home by ensuring they complete their homework, which will go out every Friday. Children will be listened to reading at school weekly and their books will be changed once their reading record is signed. Please talk with your child about what they are reading. Children are encouraged to read daily for at least 10 minutes. Please also support your child with spellings and times tables which go home every Friday.
The Shaftesbury Pledge
- This is our school, where we learn and grow together,
- May we respect everybody, today and forever.
- We are a family at Shaftesbury - growing and learning as one,
- May we be caring, friendly, polite and have fun.
Please help children learn their school pledge and the 5 Cs.
The 5 Cs
Do you know what your child is doing online?
- Check the internet history to see what your child has been doing.
- Let children use devices in a communal room (living room or kitchen) so that you can monitor what they are doing.
- Have conversations with your child about what they are doing online.
- Ask them about the dangers they are aware of.
- Ask them questions about what they should do if they have a problem or see something that upsets them
Visit the following website for more help and support www.thinkuknow.co.uk
Child Protection – Reminder
The Lead Child Protection Officer at Shaftesbury is Ms. Hussain
The Deputy Child Protection Officer is Ms McDonnell
If you have any concerns about a child please contact the Safeguarding team on 0208 472 0761
Year 1 Teachers:
Mr Turner (1T)
Ms Beishon (1B)