September - December 2019
Welcome to our Autumn 1 Newsletter. We hope you have had a fantastic summer holiday. I’ts been amazing to see our children settling in so well and making new friendships.
Important dates this half term:
- British values week – 2nd September to 6th September 2019
- European languages day – 26th September 20
- Macmillan awareness day coffee/cake morning – 27th September 2019 (Donations welcome)
- Black History month – 1st October to 31st October 2019
- Maths/Money Week – 14th October to 18th October 2019
- Guru Nanak – School closed 12th November 2019
- Road safety week – 18th – 22nd November 2019
This term in English we will be looking at narrative, descriptive writing, report writing and procedural writing. The children will be able to learn from a variety of writers and will emulate their styles.
In maths this term we will be looking at number and counting, addition and subtraction, multiplication and division and learning about place value. The children will be able to build upon their learning from last year and will become fluent in the language of numbers.
Science - Humans and Animals
We will be learning all about Humans and other animals as well as Rocks and soils.
Other Curriculum Areas:
In Geography we will be learning about our local area and improving our map skills. In PSHCE we will be looking at how we grow, linking to our science topic. Excitingly, this year we will also start learning Mandarin! During our PE lessons, we will be working on coordination.
How to Help
Please continue to support your child at home by ensuring they complete their homework, which will go out every Tuesday to be completed and returned the following Monday. Children will be listened to reading weekly and their books will be changed once their reading record is signed. Please talk with your child about what they are reading. Please also support your child with spellings and times tables which go home every Friday.
Parent/Carer’s consultation evening – Thursday 18th October 2018
Year 3 visit to the Tate Modern in prepartion for art topic 3rd October 2019
Year 3 Field work on Green Street – (various days in September) for Local Area Geography topic
Year 3 trip to Museum of London Autumn 2 (date tbc) for Stone Age History topic
Year 4 Diwali Assembly – Tuesday 31st October 2019
The Shaftesbury Pledge
- This is our school, where we learn and grow together,
- May we respect everybody, today and forever.
- We are a family at Shaftesbury - growing and learning as one,
- May we be caring, friendly, polite and have fun.
Please help children learn their school pledge and the 5 Cs.
The 5 Cs
Do you know what your child is doing online?
- Check the internet history to see what your child has been doing.
- Let children use devices in a communal room (living room or kitchen) so that you can monitor what they are doing.
- Have conversations with your child about what they are doing online.
- Ask them about the dangers they are aware of.
- Ask them questions about what they should do if they have a problem or see something that upsets them
Visit the following website for more help and support www.thinkuknow.co.uk
- Child Protection – Reminder
- The Lead Child Protection Officer at Shaftesbury is Ms. Hussain
- The Deputy Child Protection Officer is Ms McDonnell
If you have any concerns about a child please contact the Safeguarding team on 0208 472 0761
Year 3 Teachers:
- Ms Ali (3A)
- Ms Cambanakis (3C)
- Ms Bokciu (3B)