September - December 2019
Welcome back to the new academic year. We hope you have had a fantastic summer holiday. I’ts been amazing to see our children settling in so well in their classes.
Important dates this half term:
- British values week – 2nd September to 6th September 2019
- European languages day – 26th September 20
- Macmillan awareness day coffee/cake morning – 27th September 2019 (Donations welcome)
- Black History month – 1st October to 31st October 2019
- Maths/Money Week – 14th October to 18th October 2019
- Guru Nanak – School closed 12th November 2019
- Road safety week – 18th – 22nd November 2019
Year Six will be reading Skellig and Coraline. The focus will be on reading comprehension where children shocase their understanding of the texts and developing their grammar skills. These skills will contribute to a weekly long write.
This term we will be focussing on teaching strategies in calculation, number, fractions, decimals and percentages. Every Friday will be dedicated to reasoning, this allows the children to explain their thought process showing their understanding of questions.
Science – Body Functions
Children will be learning about how their body functions (respiratory and circulatory system) and why food and drink help support their development.
Other Curriculum Areas:
In PE, children will be developing their skills in handball and football. PHSE covers human development and children will be continuing to learn Mandarin with a specialist teacher. Furthermore, Geography explores European continents and national identity.
How to Help
Please continue to support your child at home by ensuring they complete their homework, which will go out every Tuesday to be completed and returned the following Monday. Children will be listened to reading at school weekly and their books will be changed once their reading record is signed. Please talk with your child about what they are reading. Children are encouraged to read daily for at least 10 minutes. Please also support your child with spellings and times tables which go home every Friday.
- Year 5 educational visit: Royal Observatory –October 2019
- Parent/Carer’s consultation evening – Thursday 17th October 2019
- School nurse to visit Year Six
The Shaftesbury Pledge
- This is our school, where we learn and grow together,
- May we respect everybody, today and forever.
- We are a family at Shaftesbury - growing and learning as one,
- May we be caring, friendly, polite and have fun.
Please help children learn their school pledge and the 5 Cs.
The 5 Cs
Do you know what your child is doing online?
- Check the internet history to see what your child has been doing.
- Let children use devices in a communal room (living room or kitchen) so that you can monitor what they are doing.
- Have conversations with your child about what they are doing online.
- Ask them about the dangers they are aware of.
- Ask them questions about what they should do if they have a problem or see something that upsets them
Visit the following website for more help and support www.thinkuknow.co.uk
- Child Protection – Reminder
- The Lead Child Protection Officer at Shaftesbury is Ms. Hussain
- The Deputy Child Protection Officer is Ms McDonnell
If you have any concerns about a child please contact the Safeguarding team on 0208 472 0761
Year 6 Teachers:
- Mr Everard (6E)
- Ms Foster (6F)
- Mr Bennett (6B)